Memorial to Fallen Soldiers
- Ode of Remembrance
- They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
- Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
- They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
- They fell with their faces to the foe.
- They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
- Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
- At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
- We will remember them.
- excerpt from Laurence Binyon’s poem “For the Fallen“
Lest we forget!
As we mark Memorial Day throughout the nation and at the battlefields across the world, the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice will be in our thoughts. Perhaps we will be remembering a son or daughter, a husband or wife, mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, and other families who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Memorial Day at Down Under Fest is a tribute to soldiers past and present.
“Guarded” by the North Forsyth High School US Marine Corps Junior ROTC, our display depicts the lives, battles, heartbreaks and victories of Soldiers from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the UK.
A ceremony will be presented on Monday, May 28 at 8:30am. Please join us as we honor our brave men and women from around the globe.
The service will be as follows:
Master of Ceremonies – Richard Knight, Commander, District 2, Veterans of Foreign Wars Department of Georgia
Opening Prayer – Chaplin, National Guard Unit
Pledge of Allegiance – USA
National Anthems (all 3) USA performed by Loren, AUS performed by Paul Killingly, NZ performed by Kahurangi Maori Dance Theatre
Reading of The Ode (AUS/NZ)
Patriotic Song performed by Paul Killingly
Keynote Speaker – Norman Stringfellow (Australian)
Floral Tribute for all three Nation Flags
Amazing Grace – Down Under Fest performers and audience
Benediction – Chaplin National Guard
Taps (USA) /Reveille (AUS/NZ)